We must preserve nature, but at what cost?
Green architecture is the new trend in urban planning: rethinking modern housing by saving natural resources and fossil fuels, both in construction and in housing and end of life. However, if the idea appears attractive at first glance, some voices are raised to question certain benefits it would bring.
So what about green architecture? Is it really worth it? An article byEngineerJobs presents the advantages and disadvantages of this practice.
The objectives of green architecture
Green architecture is a complex practice but has become very popular in recent years. Green architects have the same duties as ordinary architects, but in addition, must take into account the ecological aspects of construction. Here are their goals:
- Material efficiency
- Introduction to renewable energies
- The fossil fuel economy
- Reduce threats to biodiversity
In addition to these additional objectives, a major challenge awaits green architects: that of economic profitability. Indeed, greenhouses are unfortunately more expensive than ordinary houses, we must find solutions that are affordable.
To be successful in this regard, green architects tend to work on old homes that they are renovating, instead of building from scratch. This, therefore, allows the recycling of materials and space. However, old buildings bring another problem: that of the building’s energy efficiency, which mainly involves the insulation of the house.
The advantages of green architecture …
Green architecture has several advantages:
- Reduce pollution and preserve a stable and sustainable environment by reducing the use of fossil fuels.
- Better material efficiency and better maintenance of structures.
- Save money on your electricity bills by using autonomous and clean energy production methods such as solar energy
- The value of the property is enhanced
… and the disadvantages
Despite the many advantages, green architecture has some disadvantages:
- Requires a lot of investment in resources and money.
- Despite certain green technologies used by housing, projects sometimes require deforestation that is harmful to the environment.
- Its advantages vary from country to country, particularly according to the methods of producing green energy.
- Special equipment used in the design of greenhouses is sometimes more polluting than regular equipment
So, we listed all the pros and cons of green architecture.Now, do you want to use green architecture services? It’s up to you to weigh the pros and cons …